In 1953 the Old Thayer Library’s collection was outgrowing its facilities. To combat the problem the Town acquired land across from Town Hall to build a new library. This building would become the new Thayer Public Library while the old facility would begin to be used by the Town Water Department.
In 1997 the building was razed and modernized to the one that stands today. The newer, modern looking building was designed by William Roger Greeley and today the Library contains over 125,000 items.